Thursday, February 13, 2014

Explaining: sentences ending in 'though'

At the request of an intermediate student, who frequently hears 'though' on English television and wants to understand how it is used in conversation:

What does 'though' mean?  When is it appropriate to use 'though'?

The best way that I have found to explain this is to relate it to the us of 'but.' Most languages have an equivalent for the English word 'but.'  'But' is a word typically introduced in beginning or pre-intermediate grammar.

In a sentence, 'but' usually separates a two opposing statements.  For simplicity's sake, we will say that they are positive statements and negative statements.


I love ice-cream, but I don't like chocolate ice-cream.

Positive + but + negative = correct use of 'but'


This is also true of a sentence that is structured:

Negative + but + positive = correct


For example:

I don't like chocolate ice-cream, but I love vanilla.


'Though' and 'but' have similar functions, and are used for a different word order.  'But' separates two opposing statements in one sentence.  'Though' follows two opposing statements, instead of dividing them.  To use 'though'  both opposing statements need to be in their own sentences, with 'though' attached at the end of the second sentence.


Positive + negative + though = correct use of 'though'

or

Negative + positive + though = correct use of 'though'


For example:

I love vanilla ice-cream.  I don't like chocolate though.

I don't like chocolate ice-cream. I love vanilla though.


Because one cannot see punctuation in conversation, the only real difference between 'but' and 'though' is word order.



Did I make a mistake? Do you have suggestions to improve this post? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment