Saturday, April 26, 2014

Why English is the Most Important Subject in School

Every teacher I've ever had has told me their class was going to be the most important class I would ever attend.

Except for one.

He was an economics teacher my first semester at university.  He said this:

"Every teacher is going to tell you that their class is going to be the most important class you will ever take.  They are all lying, unless they are an English teacher. 
"No matter what other classes you're taking, or businesses you're working in, how well you write will determine how well you're able to do.
"And in the real world, the difference between a mechanic, and the mechanic's manager, is the ability to communicate."
And it's been true.

In every American university I've attended, I've out-performed a lot of other students who are smarter than me and understand the course content better, because I read the instructions, and write the assignments clearly.

I've often been surprised by how correct that economics professor was.

No matter how awesome your ideas, business, or story may be, if you can't share them clearly and efficiently, those awesome ideas and stories lose their value.

Don't let poor grammar, punctuation, subject confusion, or disorganization distract from the beautiful, meaningful, significant things that you have to say.

I repeat:

Don't let poor writing distract from the important things you have to say.  I made a hipster-quote photo, so that you will remember.



I've had the privilege to read, proofread, and edit some beautiful pieces of writing.  I love reading a paper or a story that has true content.

I love watching that content battle its way through the haze and fog to become not just legible, but intelligent.

And as those stories and ideas drop the shackles of poor grammar, the meaning becomes clear, strong and bright.  Unfettered by confusion and error, those ideas and stories become free to enter into the minds and hearts of others.  Those ideas become free--to swirl about in the minds of any stranger who reads them.

It's a beautiful thing, to imagine how space and time become incapable of separating the collective-consciousness of authors and readers.

Share your words.  Write.

Free your ideas.  Learn grammar, punctuation, and spelling.

You can do it. It only takes practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment